Godalming Town Council together with The Farncombe Initiative residents group are delighted to bring these images of Farncombe Station’s past into the present.  The images have been selected to give glimpses of the railway at Farncombe.  The railway was extended from Guildford to Godalming in 1849 but the people of Farncombe had to wait until 1897 for their own station, which for a provincial station was built in a grand style.  The line passed through the estate of Sir Frederick Marshall a local landowner and director of the London and South Western Railway Company.

From left to right:

Farncombe Station Railwayman
Reproduced courtesy of Godalming Museum

Farncombe Station Staff
Reproduced courtesy of Godalming Museum

Farncombe Track Platelayers pose by a signal box next to the Manor Road footbridge.  The date is 1892 and the present Farncombe Station is yet to be built.
Godalming Town Council, Godalming Museum and Farncombe Initiative have done their best to research the copyright of this image and would be pleased to hear from anyone with further information. 

Sir Frederick Marshall (1829-1900), owner of the Broadwater House Estate on which parts of the railway, Farncombe Village and Broadwater Park are now built.  The picture shows Sir Frederick in 1896 a year before Farncombe Station opened.
Reproduced courtesy of Godalming Museum

Falmcombe-Ribbon-Cutting
20210818_110407
artwork at farncombe station