A short walk from the station and you’ll soon be in the heart of this historic market town.
An ancient market and coaching town on the picturesque River Wey where cattle still graze the waterside meadows. Explore its independent shops, historic architecture, the iconic Pink Pepperpot formerly the Old Town Hall and picturesque Church Street. With a wide range of shops and hostelries you’ll receive a warm welcome in Godalming.
Godalming came to world attention in September 1881, when it became the first town in the world to have installed a public electricity supply, powered by a waterwheel on the River Wey.
Fun fact! In February 2006 Godalming station was renamed “Shere” for three days while filming took place for The Holiday, starring Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black and Kate Winslet. Spot the Star Pub in Church Street which appears in the film!
Highlights of your visit:
- Visit Godalming Museum. Opposite the Pepperpot, the museum opens out into local history and art galleries telling the story of the town and its people. A centre of excellence for Gertrude Jekyll, enjoy a stroll around the Jekyll inspired walled garden or browse in the shop with its exclusive range of Gertrude Jekyll porcelain. Uncover surprising connections with the Titanic, Sir Winston Churchill and public electricity. Take time to stroll around the peaceful walled museum garden. The museum is also home to the Visitor Information Point. godalmingmuseum.org
- Walk or take a short bus ride to the National Trust’s Winkworth Arboretum. You will be met with a colour-filled collection of shrubs and trees. The stunning colours change with the seasons. There is a café and trails for children to follow. Winkworth Arboretum | National Trust Enjoy a stroll around the twisting Holly Walk, explore the scenery at the lakeside or for the more adventurous take a challenging hillside walk.
- On a summer’s day, picnic in the Phillips Memorial Park, or listen to a Sunday Concert at the bandstand (May to September) http://www.godalmingbandstand.co.uk/programme.html
- Take a stroll around the town using Town Centre Walk Godalming Town Council
- For more information about Godalming and Farncombe visit About Godalming – Godalming Town Council
- For a list of shops, places to eat and places to stay
Godalming & Farncombe Shops & Businesses Guide – Godalming Town Council